The Women's Club's membership included all professional women employed by the College, retired women employes, wives of faculty, and wives of retired faculty. Its purpose was to encourage socialability among Carleton women, their spouses, and friends. The group held numerous teas, coffees ,and dinners throughout the year, and also sponsored cultural events and service projects. The club gradually died out in the early 1970s as more and more of its membership began to work full time.
Most of the folder titles are self-explanatory. A few warrant additional notes: Social Activities/Excursions, 1966-70 includes a guide to the Twin Cities and tours to Minneapolis, Owatonna, Collegeville, /Teas and Coffee Hours, 1956-70 includes teas for themselves, teas for guests, Christmas teas, coffee hours with the faculty, etc., and /Parties, Dinners, Misc., 1954-70 includes buffet suppers, dinner dances, mixers, a wine tasting party, a keg party, a "trimnastics" activity; Cultural Events, 1961-70 includes musicals, an evening of jazz, an art lecture; Service Projects, 1966-71, bloodmobile canteens, a musical performance at Northfield Hospital; Intellectual Enrichment, 1962-67, continuing education programs, lecture by a member of American Universities Field Staff.